Friday, August 8, 2008

DON'T take the BAIT!

I got this book by Nancy Leigh Demoss and Dannah Gresh for my birthday. It's titled, 'Lies Young Women Believe.' I want to take a moment and share something out of that book what I learned this morning while doing my quiet time, take a look at these four powerful paragraphs. I recommend this book for any young lady. It is a big eye opener. Not everything, but a lot of things!

If you've ever gone fishing, you know that you won't catch anything if all you do is throw an empty hook in the water. Fish are smarter than that. If you want to catch a fish, you have to put some kind of bait on your hook.

Satan's lies are the bait he uses to catch us. James 1:14-15 exposes the tactics Satan uses to ensare us.
"But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death."

Satan takes the things you desire and promises to fulfill those desires if you will simply reject God and ignore His Word. But he doesn't come right out and say. "Reject God and ignore His Word. " Instead, he convinces you that doing something just once won't really hurt anything. Or that other people are finding happiness when that reject God. "And after all," he hisses, "doesn't God want you to be happy?"

When you take the bait, you've given birth to sin. Satan's goal is to use your sin to destroy you. John 10:10 says,
"The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly."
So, the next time you're tempted to do something you know you shouldn't do, remember-there's a hook waiting for you. Don't take the bait!

2 comments:

Kalani said...

Hi Vanessa!
I've gone through this book (not word for word). I found the statistics quite interesting. Especially the one that stated that most felt they needed their friends more than God. My mom bought it for me so it could help me with the book.

Allison said...

Hey Nessa!
I've read this book as well, and found the truths very applicable, even if it was directed more towards girls who had bought into lies about dating, friendship, and things we don't do anyway. :)
Have you checked out liesyoungwomenbelieve.com? I've been commenting on a post titled, "Is it okay to date non-Christians". It's been interesting, because I've been answering some girls and don't even know what all to say, and how to clearly explain to them God's desire for them to be completely pure! If you'd like to join the "discussion" at the end of the comments, I'd love to have your thoughts added! :)