Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Meditation/Memorization

Hello my friends!

Have you ever, ever, had a nasty wicked thought appear in your mind? Is it one of those thoughts where you just wish it weren't there? Do you ever regret your pastime foolishness? Do you feel that you can never again live right because of that one incident? Or because you are having such a tough time with your purity, or thoughts? I have actually come across girls who struggle with their thoughts more than anything! Do you sometimes feel bugged down because your mind is full of the 'wrong' stuff? Now I have a question for you all. "Have you ever thought of the secret, of meditating on scripture?" I had a friend a while back ask me if I ever did this, and I just totally didn't think much about so I disregarded it. I had NO clue what she was really meaning. Not until my family and I attended a seminar this past winter were my eyes opened.

I began to meditate on scripture, both day and night. It was almost as if my mind was turned from black to white! In just less than a week. Before I started meditating on scripture it would take me quite some time to fall asleep at night too. Both my thoughts and night rest were peaceful. I fall asleep in less than 5 minutes! I will sometimes awake in the middle of the night with either a hymn or a prayer to God. It's almost as if I just wake up and start praying without knowing. It's sooooooooo incredible! I feel soooooooooooo pure and clear. I get GREAT grades and it seems as if my whole day runs so much more smoother! But what isn't amazing when the Lord's doing is in it?!?

Now what do I do?! Well, I get ready for bed, turn off all the lights, and then I start saying scripture by heart. Whatever comes to my mind. I normally say about 5 verses or so, and then that's it, I'm out!

Psa. 119:97 "O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day."

Psa. 119:148 "Mine eyes prevent the night watches, that I might meditate in thy word."

Phil. 4:8 "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

Psa. 40:8 "I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart."

Psa. 77:12 "I will meditate also of all thy work, and talk of thy doings."

God's Word is not always handy. When dealing with someone about their souls, we need to be able to tell them what the Bible says without trying to look it up in a Bible that may not be present.The answer is of course, having the verse tucked away in your heart through meditation/memorization.

Start memorizing scripture while you are young. Don't wait till you get older because it WILL get harder! This is what I did:

I opened my bible and was beginning to memorize. Well, it was not coming along easy. So, I decided, "I'm going to ask God what he wants me to memorize!" So I did, and sure enough I said, "Ok, I'll open up the bible and see what I come out to!" I got straight at Psalm 51. And it went easy!

Remember God's Word!!!

2 comments:

Allison said...

What a great reminder and testimony!

Brooke said...

Very good post!
Thank you for saying that, I think I needed to hear it. =)