Thursday, July 31, 2008

Cover up!

Today I had a fun, and what you can say a tiring day! I had one of the moms I babysit for call me and ask if I could come with her to the water park and watch her little baby who is barely 2 months old while she has a party with her little boy and his friends. I said sure! I was at the water park for about 4 hours! I had a great time holding and feeding the baby though. However, I sat there and I was able to observe all the people. It was very heartbreaking to see young girls walking around in these skimpy bathing suits. I just thought to myself, "I know it's hot out, but come on, aren't you ashamed to show so much of your body?" I was asked many times to get into the water, I would of, but I didn't know what was ok to wear and what wasn't. I know a lot of these public places don't allow shorts and tank tops. I would of gone, but, was so uncertain.

I just couldn't believe how youngsters walk around totally ok with what they wear. I sometimes just think, "What you're wearing is senseless, you're practically naked!" I'm serious! I know I'm being open and bold, but it's the truth! Just because they may have a good body and great figure doesn't mean that you can show it off. Many times when we see someone who is a bit overweight and they are just in some swimming trunks, or in a bathing suit, we say, "Ew, can't you put a t-shirt on?" But just because they look sick with the fat doesn't mean they should cover up. Everyone should cover up. However, our world is so messed up with thinking that if you are thin and in shape it's ok to go without any shorts or t-shirt. Fat or skinny, it doesn't matter, we all should keep our bodies for ourselves and later for our spouse. Did you know that until the mid-1800s guys and girls swam in different places or at different hours? Yet, today guys and girls swim together in swimwear that is often provocative and designed to expose your body!

You see little girls with the age of about 3 who are already dressed in bikinis, people think it's so cute! It may look cute, but these little girls are getting messed up with already thinking, "Oh, it's ok to dress with such little clothing!" Then you see them in mini skirts, and skinny strapped tank tops and swaying their hips back and forth because they see everyone else acting this way. That is true, everyone practically does dress that way and little girls don't know the difference because mommy is dressing them that way. Then once they hit 13 or so they are totally out of their mind and are dressing totally nuts! Sadly, they don't know the difference. They have been taught and have been dressed that way since a little child. They think it's normal to show off their body, to walk and act immodest. Then they have their own children and start that same pattern. You see, it just goes on and on. It's ridiculous!

As a Christian your behavior sets the tone for how others see you and your faith. Being modest in your appearance is just as great a witness to those around you as your words. One issue many non-Christians have with believers is that they tend to be hypocritical. If you are preaching purity and modesty to others while wearing revealing clothes you may be seen as a hypocrite. By being modest you allow people to see your inner faith rather than your outer appearance.

Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us. 1 Peter 2:12 (TNIV)

Stand up and be modest. Don't try to follow the trend with dressing in the latest styles. You can still dress very cute and fashionable while at the same time being modest. I know, because I have seen so many. However, even wearing a skirt can be immodest if it's too tight or too short. Be careful when choosing your clothing. Make sure your tops aren't too sheer, tight, and short. You don't want to make others stumble and fall with your looks. Ask God to point out to you if you have anything against him. Are you causing others to stumble at the way you are dressing or acting? Dress modest. I'm not saying for you to wear skirts at all times, you can wear pants, it's fine, but just be aware and on the look out if they are immodest. They shouldn't be too tight around your hips, rear end, and thighs. Examine yourself and ask yourself these questions, "What will others notice or see? Why do I want to wear this outfit? Why do I like this style?" Prayerfully consider, "Am I truly modest-according to God's standard?"

Modesty is an issue of the heart. A heart of modesty affects every aspect of a woman's life-not just the way she looks, but her attitudes and the way she talks and acts, as well. Keep this in mind, 'What we wear+How we look=A picture of what we believe.

The next time you get dressed for an outing or whatever it is, look at yourself and ask those questions above! Pray to the Lord though, don't just listen to what I say, you need to have a conviction from the Holy Spirit, and not from someone else.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes I totally agree, Vanessa girl! You're right on target and you've hit it, smack right in the bull's eye!!! Modesty IS an issue of the heart, and what we look like DOES reflect what we believe. What is on the outside is a reflection of what's on the inside.
YOU CANNOT SERVE GOD AND MAMMOM.
WE OUGHT TO OBEY GOD RATHER THAN MAN.