Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Reading Psalms in a month...but how?

My days, my time, my school, my studies, my family, my life, my dog, my friends, my email, my...my....my...blog! That's right, I have a blog! But you see all the MYS I have?! That's why I have such limited time to blog, and what am I doing here, explaining all this to you, just take it and believe me! But, what have I done again...? I have changed the entire layout. Shame on me, always messing around with it, I'm probably the only blog in the whole world doing so?! I didn't want a Christmas background, because I'd be in the same shoes next month! Alright, I hope y'all had a great Thanksgiving? I sure did, ate way to much but worked it all out the following day, playing soccer and football!

So, can you believe it that December is here?! Shall we say, "Happy Birthday!" to our last month. Crazy, isn't it? Snow showers, tea, Christmas carols, Christmas decoration, cookies, gloves, hats, scarves, boots, coats, all take place in the beautiful month of...December. What a lovely month this is, celebrating the birth of our beloved Savior! As all this 'new' stuff arrives, new moments are also cherished and remembered. You may get busy since the holidays are just around the corner. I know how that all is, shopping, family time, friends, tests in school, baking, and so much more takes up your day and time. Although, we should not forget to read our wonderful bible. Right?!

As the new month approached us before we could stop it, I have once again started at the beginning of Proverbs 1. I have been doing this every single month since winter 2006. Perhaps, a few of you don't know what I'm talking about. You see, the lovely book of Proverbs has 31 chapters, total. Now, since each month varies from 30-31 days, not including February, you take Proverbs and lets say for an example, December 1st you read Proverbs 1. Now, since December has 31 days, you will totally match up with Proverbs. Of course, a few months throughout the year are short a day, that's ok! Do you see where I'm going with this? For each day, you read a Proverb. The 15th of December you read Proverbs 15! I'm pretty sure a few of you knew that!?

However, I have learned another trick from a friend concerning Psalms. I haven't done this in awhile, so as December 1st was yesterday, I began it up again. This is what you do. Lets say you'd be interested in reading the Psalms in a whole month...but how, you ask yourself? Well, you take for example, December 1st, you read Psalm 1, 31, 61, 91, and 121. Do you see any pattern? Ok, let me explain myself. For each day, you read the date and then add 30 to each chapter. Understanding? Another example, December 10th, read Psalm 10, 40, 70, 100, and 130. As you know, there are only 150 chapters. So, on average, you read 5-6 chapters a day, and surprisingly, you get through the whole book! Give it a shot and see how much you'll learn from the Psalms. My favorite is to pray a Psalm, especially Psalm 51! That is a Psalm which has helped me so much. You might notice that you have ignored the book of Psalm so, take your eyes to that book and explore the beautiful writings therein!

3 comments:

Allison said...

I learned a similar idea at a conference. Instead of reading 5 Psalms, you browse the 5 (like you said--1, 31, 61...) and then pray through one, or part of one if you don't finish. It helps to keep you focused and not pray the same things over and over in the same ways. I've really enjoyed it!

Rachel said...

Hello! I found your blog from Life Savior...Nick is my brother. :) That is an interesting way to read Psalms, I never knew youcould read it in a month!

~Rachel

Anonymous said...

That's awesome Nessa! I'm gonna start it too. I already read Psalms and Proverbs every day, but never read Psalms the way you said. I'll start New Year's Day!!!! Ü I love Psalm 144, it's (I think) my favorite so far.
-Erica